Thursday, April 9, 2009

I love books


I love books. That is no secret. There is nothing like a book to transport you, to teach you, to make you laugh, to make you cry. I was always drawn to homes on T.V. that had books piled up everywhere. (maybe I should have mentioned that to Donnie before we married! :) ) Philip Yancey...The Jesus I Never Knew and all his other books are great. Barbara Kingsolver...A Prodigal Summer, Bean Tree, Pigs in Heaven & Animal Dreams. Wow, I love them all. Poisonwood Bible...her most popular, was my least favourite. Then came the year I read The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland. "It's good literature", Jenny W says. The first pages were like wow...there is a lot being said in each sentence. I really have to 'read'. But she was right...it remains a favourite. And I 'quite often' will read what Jenny recommends as 'good literature'. I loved The Secret Life of Bees and Crow Lake. Just recently I read The Yada Yada Prayer Group series. Easy reading, but keeping me focused on praise and prayer. Good timing for those. My weakness (well, one of them) is wanting to buy the books I really like. Yes, so I can read them again and I do but for another reason too. I want my books to be able to tell someone, when they glance at them, a little bit of who I am. To look and be intrigued at what my character might be by what I read. Books that I have read recently that have impacted me are 2 books by Canadian Journalist Sally Armstrong. Veiled Threat & Bitter Roots, Tender Shoots. These books are about the lives of women in Afghanistan. Also a book Tami recommended...28 stories of AIDS in Africa. And one more that I loved...Land of A Thousand Hills:My life in Rwanda by Rosamund Carr.
Sometimes I am sad because I think back on things I have read in books and have NO idea what book these things were a part of. But that's O.K.

You'll notice from the picture that I now share my book space with Rowan's toys & BOOKS!! What a privilege!

Hugs
Yo

Quote: When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment