Friday, April 10, 2009

Into your hands I commit my spirit.


I just learned this in church this morning...I've never heard it before.

So Jesus cried out with a loud voice--(not a whisper or a whimper) for all to hear his declaration, "Father, into your hands, I commit my spirit!"

Dr. William Barclay writes, "Jesus died with a prayer on his lips. `Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.' That is Psalm 31:5 with one word added-- Father. That verse was the prayer every Jewish mother taught her child to say last thing at night. Just as we were taught, maybe, to say, `Now I lay me down to sleep,' so the Jewish mother taught her child to say, before the threatening dark came down, `Into your hands I commit my spirit.' Jesus made it even more intimate, for he began it with the word Father. Even on the cross Jesus died like a child falling asleep in his father's arms."
Thank you Jesus.

Hugs
Yo

No comments:

Post a Comment