Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A friend I haven't met

Sometimes really cool people cross our paths, and although we may never really know them, we feel like we do.
I am reading a book called 99 Windows..the Reflections of a Reporter from Arabia to Africa and other Roads less traveled. The journalist is Thomas Froese. Many of these 99 Windows have appeared in the Hamilton Spectator and I always appreciated his writing and was always hoping he would put them together in a book.
And he did.
In the short pieces I've read so far (not all in order) I've learned that he has read A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins.
His wife Jean Chamberlain organized a symposium at the Royal Botanical Gardens and Sally Armstrong...Author of Veiled Threat was one of the speakers.
Jean has written a book and launched a program called Save the Mothers .
He has read The Jesus I Never Knew )...
He has read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel ...
He has read The Cross and the switchblade...
He has read Through Gates of Splendor...

The theme of all these books??....I have read them all too.
Thomas Froese speaks things that in some small way give voice to things I feel.
He writes in ways that shows he knows the heart of God.
He writes with depth, with passion, with humour.
He makes me think.
I respect what he writes...

Like this...
...but why is it so easy to get worked up over this type of thing...the removal of Christ from Christmas, and so hard to get angry over other liberal attitudes that creep from culture into everyday Christian living?
Like, say, the lax response to God's demand for justice for the world's poor and oppressed.
This Christmas (2006), at least half of Earth's 6.5 billion people will be malnourished. This low class lives on $3 a day or less. Many are in sub-Saharan Africa. No gifts for these kids. Just brain damage from a lack of protein.

Thomas and Jean who have 2 young children just recently adopted a 3 year old Ugandan girl...one of the 2.4 million Ugandan orphans. How do you pick one?

I am thankful for reminder of the many things I have had a passion for in my life. It's not to late to revisit them...

Hugs
Yo

Quote: "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. C.S.Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment